First, some good news – the Australian Government really likes us because we’re accountable and creative with how we use their money, and we get great results! 🙂 They make grants available to us, but we need to co-invest in order to do the project work. We’ve committed to contribute $1 for every $5 of what the Government makes available to us. Your contribution means we can match the government funding successfully, gain access to the full amount on offer and change more lives!
Okay so the more we give, the more you get?
Not exactly. Each year the Government makes Australian aid funding available to NGO’s like us based on their budgets. How much of that we can apply for and win depends on a whole range of factors. One of them is contributing funds from our own donors to match the grants. Another is demonstrating how much public supporter funding we’ve been able to attract over the past few years.
So the bucket isn’t bottomless, but your help means we can take advantage of everything on offer and potentially increase our share.
Your donation helps in a couple of other really important ways:
- It shows the Government that you trust us and believe in our work, which in turn increases their faith in us. This means they’re more likely to offer us a larger slice of the funding pie in the following year – and that’s a win for all of us!
- When you donate, you send a message loud and clear to our leaders that you’re prepared not to just give lip service to the idea that we should be good global citizens – you’ll put your money behind your ideals. With Governments watching closely to see which issues their people care about, this is one of the most powerful signals you can possibly send.
But wait – does this mean I should save up all my donations throughout the year and just give to this campaign?
If you can possibly manage it, it’s great to give to a range of our Campaigns. Here’s why:
Some of our partners aren’t large or sophisticated enough to handle the reporting and administrative standards for Australian Government grants – think about South Sudan where our partners are struggling to feed themselves, and electricity/internet is completely unreliable.
We rely on people like you to fund these projects and help us equip our partners to build the capacity they need so that they can be sustainable – longer term.
So what’s the best way to make my donation go furthest for good with UnitingWorld?
The choice is yours! There are benefits to each way of giving, including the incentive of a tax deduction, helping show your support of international aid to the Australian Government, responding compassionately in an emergency, or funding work that has few other sources of income.
Another excellent way to increase your impact is by becoming a regular giver.
- Regular income provides security for our partners and helps them plan effectively
- We don’t need to spend quite as much on promoting our work and encouraging people to give
- We can use your gift when and where it’s needed most.
Global Neighbours are given annual updates about the impact of their work, and can choose exactly which other appeals and communications material they receive. We are incredibly grateful for this community of faithful supporters.
If you’re keen to check it out, visit us here